Although combination skin is one of the most common skin types, finding the best drugstore foundation for combination skin feels like a daunting challenge. Give us a product that removes the shine from our T-zone while hydrating the dry patches on our cheeks and we might just pass out.
The problem is that many products on the market promise to help you control oils and reduce flakiness. How can you tell which one is right for you? Head down to find out everything you need to before buying foundation for your fickle-minded skin type.
What to Consider Before Shopping
Here are a few things you should keep in mind before purchasing a drugstore foundation for combination skin.
- Make Sure It’s Oil-Free. If you already have a shiny T-zone that you’re trying to cover, then an oil-based foundation will only exacerbate the problem. In less than half an hour after application, your nose, chin, and forehead will probably be as shiny as a light bulb.
Opt for a powder or liquid foundation with a high water content (at least 55%.) That way, the product will absorb the excess oil from your T-zone while ensuring the rest of the face stays hydrated.
- Find the Right Formulation. Keep in mind that combination skin can have an uneven tone, so it’s best to go for a foundation that has a medium coverage level. A moisturizing liquid foundation has a light texture that doesn’t feel heavy on the skin. Moreover, it hydrates the skin without being greasy. Creams to powder foundations are also an excellent choice as they can balance the oiliness and dryness in your skin.
- Avoid Products That Contain Fragrance. A fragrance foundation might smell nice, but the ingredients included will affect your dry areas tremendously. As a result, your cheeks might get dull and flaky.
Top 10 Drugstore Foundations for Combination Skin
||1. L'Oreal Paris True Match Mineral Foundation, Nude Beige, 0.35 oz.
||2. COVERGIRL Advanced Radiance Age Defying Foundation Makeup Classic Ivory, 1 oz
||3. Maybelline New York Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation, Classic Ivory, 1 fl. oz.
||4. COVERGIRL Advanced Radiance Age-Defying Pressed Powder Natural Beige 120, .39 oz
||5. Max Factor Panstik Foundation - 13 Nouveau Beige
||6. Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation, Soft Beige, 1 Fluid Ounce
||7. bareMinerals Pure Serum Foundation, Bare Satin, 1 Ounce
||8. L'Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation Makeup, Natural Buff, 1 fl. oz.
||9. Maybelline New York Fit Me! Oil-Free Stick Foundation, 235 Pure Beige, 0.32 Ounce
||10. Belloccio's Professional Cosmetic Airbrush Makeup Foundation 1/2oz Bottle: Beige- Light-medium Pink Undertones
Keep This in Mind
Finding a foundation that strikes the right balance for your tricky skin can be hard. Oily T-zones and the dry patches on your cheeks require a blend of special ingredients to provide a natural look. Pay attention to the tips below if you want to find the best drugstore foundation for combination skin.
- Avoid Pore-clogging Products. You want to cover your imperfections and obtain an even skin tone, and even though they your pores to breathe, your T-zone is already susceptible to breakouts due to excess sebum. So, go for a lightweight foundation that will allow your skin to breathe.
- Make Sure It Provides Enough Coverage. One of the biggest problems people with combination skin have to deal with is enlarged pores. Foundation tends to exaggerate pores, so make sure to look for a product that evens out the skin tone.
As an extra tip, scrub the areas with excess sebum before applying foundation so that you’ll reduce the pores’ size. Plus, a clean skin will offer better support for the foundation.
- Stay Away from Irritating Ingredients. Both your enlarged pores and your dry cheeks will be affected by irritating substances, such as sodium lauryl sulfate. At the same time, a high alcohol concentration or silicones will take their toll on your T-zone by causing breakouts. They can also affect your cheeks by making them red and itchy.
Top 3 Best Drugstore Foundation for Combination Skin Reviews
L’Oreal Paris True Match Mineral Foundation is the overall highest rated drugstore foundation for combination skin.
What sets this powder foundation apart from other similar products is that it comes with a special brush that ensures an even and flawless cover.
Free of any preservatives, talc, or even fragrance, L’Oreal Paris Match Mineral Foundation is also oil free. You can now enjoy a luminous sheer without worrying about a shiny nose, redness, pores or fine lines. The medium coverage can help you hide any imperfections while still maintaining a natural look. Not to mention, it feels so light that you’ll forget you’ve applied foundation before leaving your home.
Another great thing about this foundation is that it offers UVA and UVB sun protection. This mineral formula comes with an SPF 19 protection.
Overall, if you are looking for the best drugstore foundation for combination skin, then L’Oreal Paris Match Mineral Foundation is the right product for you.
If you’re familiar with COVERGIRL’s products, then you know they’re dedicated to creating great cosmetics. Advanced Radiance Age Defying Foundation makes no exception.
Due to its creamy liquid consistency, this foundation is incredibly easy to apply. Just a drop is enough to cover the face and give you a youthful appearance that will last for eight hours. Plus, it won’t accentuate your pores or wrinkles, so you’ll get a glowing look.
Its water-based formulation won’t clog your pores, irritate or cause breakouts. That way, you can build up more coverage along the way, without risking the cakey aspect we all know and dread.
One of the things we loved most about Advanced Radiance Age Defying Foundation is that, unlike other drugstore foundations for combination skin, it provides a natural and beautiful finish without mattifying the skin too much. The result is a fresh and radiant complexion everyone will envy.
Lightweight, safe for sensitive skin, and affordable, Advanced Radiance Age Defying Foundation is an excellent foundation for your combination skin.
Now you can control excess oil and have a matte complexion with a single sweep of a brush. Built to last for up to 16 hours and with a formula that is transfer resistant, this liquid mousse foundation will turn any combination skin into a flawless one in just a few steps.
If you’re the type of women that doesn’t have the time to apply liquid foundations or like to adjust your makeup throughout the day, then Maybelline New York Dream is the best fit for you.
It will prevent your T-zone from shining due to a smooth matte finish while the hydrating formula will protect your cheeks from getting flaky. More than that, it will also minimize your pores, making your skin look flawless.
To conclude, Maybelline New York Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation is a long-lasting product that can help you control shine and reduce flakiness.